Math & Science Instructor
The Young Professional’s Institute Math and Science Instructor will develop and facilitate comprehensive and dynamic arithmetic instruction to Pre-GED and GED level students ages 16-24 in our Advance and Earn, Young Professional’s Institute Program. The instructor will be responsible for creating and teaching content that aids participants in educational gain and GED readiness. The instructor will work under the guidance of the Assistant Director to identify participants that are in need of additional support and provide 1:1 and small group instruction based on areas of concern.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:• Develop interactive and intentional curriculum for pre-GED and GED students that seeks to facilitate grade gain, NRS level gain and/or GED readiness in math
• Organize lesson plans to review in small groups and 1:1 sessions with students weekly
• Develop and administer summative practice test for preparation of TABE and GED test; Identify participants slated for educational gain and/or GED attainment in need of additional 1:1 or small group support
• Participate in internal trainings on Motivational Interviewing (MI) and employ MI strategies as a primary modality of practice.
• Employ strength based, youth centered approach to support strong attendance and participation
• Attend all required internal and external program, team and agency meetings
• Attend trainings and monitor trends on optimizing student learning
• Collaborate with team to develop program schedule, project based learning activities, and program events
• Utilize dynamic platforms to facilitate instruction in the remote environment (as needed) and facilitate meaningful and interactive classes in person
• Collaborate with the Department of Education instructor and other partners/stakeholders to support participants in the classroom
• Track, monitor and input data on all funder and internally required student and program milestones and outcomes
• Develop, collect and track internal and funder mandated worksheets
• Administer the TABE test
• Work collaboratively with the Advance and Earn and Academic Team to ensure cohesive messaging and services to youth
• All other appropriate duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to develop and facilitate intentional academic content.
• Ability to identify gaps in learning and suggest changes; ability to work as part of a team in order to develop and ensure positive outcomes for all participants.
• Ability to meet deadlines and enter data in a timely and accurate manner.
• Ability to demonstrate professionalism and cultural competency in forming relationships with participants from diverse backgrounds, community partners, and colleagues
Education and Experience/Training:
• Bachelor’s Degree (Degree in Education preferred);
• Background in math instruction required; Experience with science instruction, as well, highly preferred;
• At least 2 years teaching experience; experience in curriculum development and design;
• Experience in non-profit preferred
Salary Range: $43,000 - $48,000